Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2011 08:57:08 +0100
From:      Maciej Milewski <milu@dat.pl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

Sunday 13 of February 2011 08:12:05 Odhiambo Washington napisa=B3(a):
> My question is: WHY need 7 DVDs??? DVDs?? Even M$ does not do such a crazy
> thing with its bloat-ware!! FreeBSD ships 1 DVD.
> What is it that this Debian GNU/kFreeBSD ships in those 7 DVDs?
I think the answer for your first question is on
http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/index.en.html#which-cd

And talking about GNU/kFreeBSD:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/kfreebsd-amd64/ch04s01.html.en
"Although a full set of binary packages requires several CDs, it is unlikel=
y=20
you will need packages on the third CD and above. You may also consider usi=
ng=20
the DVD version, which saves a lot of space on your shelf and you avoid the=
 CD=20
shuffling marathon."
They are writing about CD's but I think the same is about DVD's containing =
the=20
most wanted packages on the first image(s).

Of course that you don't need full set of DVD's. You can even use a small=20
netinstall cd to get Debian. AFAIR on the last discs there were sources for=
=20
the packages from the first several discs. So the release version of the=20
Debian contains not only packages but the sources too and it's all included=
 in=20
these DVD's. It's like release of FreeBSD + all distfiles on the CD/DVD med=
ia.

Maciej