Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 02:59:54 +0200
From:      Khamba Staring <purrcat@edoropolis.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE, XFree 4.0.1, AGP and Matrox G400 --> NEED FBSD 5.x?!

Hi!

> (I wrote)
>
> > (joeo@cracktown.com wrote)
> >
> > For the DRI you'll need one other piece, the kernel module for the
> > drm/card type.
> >
> > If you have the XF4.0.1 sources on hand the kernel modules can be built
> > out of the directory
> > xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/drm/kernel.
>
> Ahaa.. I compiled the code, included the drm module (also at startup)
> but still no-go.. I checked the Makefile.bsd and came to the conclusion
> I had to include the directory `mga'.. The compilation didn't went well
> after that; I checked the sources in the directories `mga' and `tdfx' and
> found out I had to add a `-DDRM_AGP' to the Makefile in the mga directory.
>
> (the problem: in the file mga_drv.c, the compiler stumbled across a lot
>  of errors indicating the device_t structure had no member named `agp').
>
> Recompiled, now mga_dma.c is having some trouble compiling:
>
> -- (output make -f Makefile.bsd)
> cc -O -pipe  -DDRM_AGP -I..  -D_KERNEL -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-exter
ns -Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qu
al  -fformat-extensions -ansi -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I- -I.. -I. -I@ -I/usr/in
clude  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -c mga_dma.c
> mga_dma.c: In function `mga_dma_service':
> mga_dma.c:670: warning: implicit declaration of function `taskqueue_enqueue'
> mga_dma.c:670: `taskqueue_swi' undeclared (first use in this function)
> mga_dma.c:670: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> mga_dma.c:670: for each function it appears in.)
> mga_dma.c:670: structure has no member named `task'
> mga_dma.c: In function `mga_irq_install':
> mga_dma.c:885: warning: implicit declaration of function `TASK_INIT'
> mga_dma.c:885: structure has no member named `task'
> *** Error code 1
> -- (end output)
>

> I couldn't find any hint as to what the problem is now..

Seems I just needed a little more time. After some searching through
the include files in /usr/src/sys/sys, I found out I needed to include
taskqueue.h, which I did. Still no error-free compile and the search
went on.. A little while later I found the answer: in drmP.h, some
`#if __FreeBSD_version' statements suggested I need FreeBSD 5.something
to use drm/mga!

Can anyone tell me why? (Of course I evilly changed the drmP.h file and
compiled (successfully this time!) but this also didn't work.)
Does anyone have the drm/mga driver working under 5.x? I don't want to
put much time in upgrading to 5.x-CURRENT just to find out this also
doesn't work..

Kind regards,

-- Khamba Staring

(ps: I'm still not subscribed to the freebsd-questions mailing list
     so please direct any responses to me too; sorry)