Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:38:44 -0400
From:      Max Euston <meuston@jmrodgers.com>
To:        "'Scot Elliott'" <scot@poptart.org>, David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        "chad@anasazi.com" <chad@anasazi.com>, "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: su login weird

[snip]
> > >% id
> > >uid=130(chad) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel), 200(sysadm)
> > >% su root
> > >su: you are not in the correct group to su root.
> > >% exit
> >
> >    I see that your gid is 0 (wheel), but is user chad in the wheel group (i.e.
> > specified in the wheel: line in /etc/group)?
>
> Thats what I thought when I saw this... but if you take your self out of
> the wheel group (in /etc/group) but set your GID to zero in the password
> file, you can still su to root.  Just tried it on my -STABLE system.

See PR bin/6696:

Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-bugs->steve
Responsible-Changed-By: steve
Responsible-Changed-When: Sun May 24 20:35:17 PDT 1998
Responsible-Changed-Why:
Committed to -current.  I will MFC after the required settling
period.
State-Changed-From-To: suspended-closed
State-Changed-By: steve
State-Changed-When: Thu Jun 4 15:30:58 PDT 1998
State-Changed-Why:
Patch committed to both -current and -stable.  Thanks!

Max
---
Max Euston <meuston@jmrodgers.com>