Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 22:19:48 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kdebase3

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 06:32:25PM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> Anyway, what's happening seems to be the build process somehow causes
> the configure script to get rebuilt after our port starts the build
> (eg, the .configure_done.kdebase-3.0_1 is there _before_ the configure
> script grows an "-O2" & is re-run).

This suggests a problem with your clock (or something else); such that
gmake thinks something is out of date and needs to rerun configure.

> I think our autoconf is part of the problem, as it sets the cflags to
> O2. So, I've hit the autoconf port over the head with this patch:

autoconf isn't being run when building the kdebase3 port.  So this patch,
could be useful maybe, but will not help you with kdebase3.
(but the patch would totally screw me when submitting things back to FSF)

> And the kdebase3 port with this:
> +pre-configure:
> +	${PERL} -pi -e "s@-O2@-O@g" ${WRKSRC}/configure
> +	${PERL} -pi -e "s@-O2@-O@g" ${WRKSRC}/aclocal.m4
> +	${PERL} -pi -e "s@-O2@-O@g" ${WRKSRC}/admin/acinclude.m4.in
> +	${PERL} -pi -e "s@-O2@-O@g" ${WRKSRC}/admin/libtool.m4.in

The aclocal.m4 (and maybe all the .m4 files) should not need this patch
-- as we aren't regenerating `configure'.  The patch to configure would
fix your problem -- but I think it is just masking the real problem.