Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 19:20:17 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@freebsd.org, dg@freebsd.org, ru@ucb.crimea.ua
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CY_PCI_FASTINTR (Was: Re: Cyclom-Y driver for FreeBSD - help!!!)

>Am I understand this right: if I configure my PCI card to an
>exclusive interrupt, and then turn on CY_PCI_FASTINTR, I'll get
>rid of ``silo overflows'' on it.

Except in -current, where CY_PCI_FASTINTR is broken (it has no effect).

>Just out of curiosity.
>What is the ``interrupt latency in the FreeBSD kernel'' problem
>and what are the ``Bruce's "fast" interrupt hacks''?

The problem is that some mouldy old drivers and subsystems disable
interrupts for too long (e.g. 2-5msec for programming keyboard LEDs;
this breaks unbuffered serial input at speeds larger than 200-500 bps,
and it breaks the Cyclades' 12-character fifos at speeds larger than
600-2400 bps).

The "fast" interrupt hacks consist of ignoring the normal interrupt
masking system so that drivers using "fast" interrupts are not affected
by the problem unless there are enough of them (or enough activity on
them) to create their own latency problems.

Bruce