Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 02:53:54 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Ethan Akins <ethanakins@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mountroot> Please Help / URGENT..

# ethanakins@hotmail.com / 2002-12-23 01:23:53 +0000:
> Date: 12-22-02
>
> Operating System / Configuration:
> FreeBSD 4.6 with RAID 1 ( Mirrored )
>
> I have 2 active drives running in the same machine at all times. In
> addition, I have 1 extra drive that sits on the shelf with a copy of the
> previous backup that I swap out with one of the other active drives every
> week. When I swap out the drive from the shelf with one of the drives in
> the machine upon booting it says array failure so I press Ctrl + F and
> "re-create" the array. After successful replication has taken place I
> reboot the machine and everything runs flawlessly as it should...
>
> However, here is the problem:
>
> The remaining drive that I leave on the shelf for additional backup will
> NOT boot up as a single drive to get data off that I need very badly...
>
> Upon booting it brings me to this prompt:
>
> Manual root filesystem specification:

> Example: ufs:/dev/da0s1a
> ? List valid disk boot devices
> <empty line> Abort manual input
>
> Mountroot>
>
> I then type:
>
> mountroot> ufs:/dev/ar0s1a
>
> and receive this message:
>
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ar0s1a
> No such device 'ar'
> Getrootbyname failed
> mfs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
> root mount failed: 6

    right. when you plug the drive into a regular IDE controller it's
    not /dev/ar* anymore.

> I then type:
>
> mountroot> ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
>
> and it lets me log in with read-only access

    right. the drive is ad0* now, and it's mounted read-only because the
    system assumes a problem, and stays on the safe side.

> and browsing is limited to the
> /root /dev & /etc directory.

    right. see below.

> I then 'cat' the FSTAB directory to see this configuration:

    you mean /etc/fstab, right? it's "fstab", not FSTAB (the case
    matters; I've seen someone rename the file to Fstab and then wonder
    what broke), and it's a file, not a directory.

> /dev/ar0s1b none swap sw 0 0
> /dev/ar0s1a / ufs rw 1 1
> /dev/ar0s1e /usr ufs rw 2 2

    the system can't mount /usr because it is listed being in ar0s1e,
    but that device is not present now.

> /dev/acodoc /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0
> proc /proc procfs rw 0 0
>
> Would anyone able to help me out with this situation ?
>
> The data on the backup drive is VERY IMPORTANT and I can't get to it...

    have you read the Handbook?
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mount-unmount.html

    also, you *do* know mount(8), why don't you use your knowledge?

    # mount -u /dev/ad0s1a /
    # mount /dev/ad0s1e /usr
    # sed -E 's/ar0/ad0/' /etc/fstab > /tmp/fstab
    # cat /tmp/fstab
    (check that it's ok)
    # mv /tmp/fstab /etc
    (/etc/fstab should be root:wheel 644, chown/chmod it if it's not)
    # swapon -a

    and you're set. since you will most probably be in singleuser at
    this point, you'll want to finish the booting procedure:

    # exit