Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 11:20:59 +0100
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml@buz.ch>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mount_smbfs broken?

Hello,
I'm trying to use mount_smbfs -N to get it to read the password from
/root/.nsmbrc:

# A simple configuration example:

# First, define a workgroup.
[default]
workgroup=datasvr

# The 'FSERVER' is an NT server.
[datasvr]
addr=IP

[datasvr:mailbackup:mail_backup]
# use persistent password cache for user 'mailbackup'
password=$$XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxx
workgroup=datasvr

Whereas datasvr is the netbios name of the W2K server, mailbackup the
username and mail_backup the share in question (just don't ask why I need
to backup my "secure" mail server on a 2K box) and the password was
made with smbutil crypt. Upon invocation of
#mount_smbfs -N  -I IP //mailbackup@datasvr/mail_backup /mnt
I end up with
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Authentication error

If I use mount_smbfs -I IP //mailbackup@datasvr/mail_backup /mnt
I get prompted for a password and it will work perfectly. However,
that's not an option to me as I need to mount the share at boottime.

A grep through mount_smbfs.c didn't even find a N option although
there might be some case insentivity trickery going on I didn't take
into account.

So my question boils down to: how can I get mount_smbfs to read the PW
from the file? And why doesn't mount_smbfs fail if it is invoked with
the -N argument but is unable to read the .nsmbrc file?