Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 20:50:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	My take on this is  that the more ideas we have, the better off
> > 	the entire effort.   I can't see a problem for at least 5 years
> > 	--probably more--.   So it would help (me at least) if you would
> > 	detail outline the troubles you see down the road  and what your
> > 	solutions are.
> The problems are now! As I have stated previously, CTM services are having to
> be pruned; Mirrors have dropped the scope of their distribution or dropped out
> entirely. I'm sure that other would-be participants have not come forward
> because the they cannot dedicate the resources.

Excuse me Richard.  I don't want to make a real point of it, but you're
partially right.  Yes, you're certainly right that ctm of ports is the
major contributor to processing time; but I think I have to make clear, no
one is hurting yet, in that regard.  CTM is only using about 60% of the
available clock time on the machine (previous ctm runs, started every 8
hours, always complete early enough not to interfere fatally with the next
ones).  I watch load very carefully to keep it that way.  I *did* poll
users about curtailing ctm services on the 2.2 branch in the next quarter
or two, and I think I will do this because of the new RELENG_4 starting
up, but things aren't at emergency point yet.

The machine is a pentium 120; maybe if things get worse sometime, the
hardware could be upgraded.  Contrary to popular belief, there are still a
large number of ctm users.

I just didn't want folks to think that I would allow ctm to drift into
trouble.  I would *not* do that.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.