Date:      08 Apr 2001 21:29:21 -0500
From:      Tim Ayers <tayers@bridge.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: minimal web server install

>>  On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 09:35:19PM -0600, Tim Ayers wrote:

J> Hello, I would like to install a personal apache server on FreeBSD.
J> It would sit behind it's own firewall.
J>  Oh I should of mentioned that.  CGI, perl, php3, mysql,  probably 2 nics.
J>  It will sit behind a fire-wall but will be connected to the world.
J>  By personal I mean a learning hobby thing but scale-able.

You are confusing issues here I think. CGI and php3 are web server
issues. Perl _might_ be a server issue if you are talking about
mod_perl, which embeds Perl into Apache. If you mean you are going to
write CGI scripts using Perl, then any server can do that, because
CGI's can be written in any language you want and as long as they
generate the correct output they will work. Mysql is a database and
generally has nothing to do with the web server per se. How you access
the database from CGI scripts or other web applications is another
thing, but that is decided after you pick your web server.

If you really want php3 you'll need Apache instead of thttpd. I don't
use PHP and don't know enough about it to steer you away from it, but
it still sounds like you should look at thttpd to get your feet
wet. Or just go with the default installation of Apache in
/usr/ports/www/apache13 and accept all its modules. It's built using
shared libraries so the memory overhead isn't as bad as it might
appear (but still a heck of a lot bigger than thttpd).

J> Are there canned installations for this giving me just the minimal
J> packages, or a howto for compiling the kernel for such.

>> Why are you concerned with "the minimal packages?" Disk space? Memory
>> usage? Complexity?

J>  mostly security and performance.  I don't want anything gui, extra
J>  package or so is ok but I want a pretty lean compile.

thttpd again. :-)

J> Also what nongui web browser is there like lynx?

>> Lynx is pretty similar to lynx. ;-) If you are asking about _other_
>> non-gui browsers, I know of 'w3m' and 'links' but I've never used
>> either so I have no comment.

J>  ah I hope that wasn't my mistake, a spelling error.  I just ftp
J>  installed Free-BSD but aborted at the lynx prompt.  I can just
J>  barely crawl with linux but I'm hoping FreeBSD will be not be so
J>  different that the learning curve is to steep.  When lynx didn't
J>  work I hit despair.

The "lynx is similar to lynx" was a joke. Sorry. I'll answer again... I
know of 3 text-based browsers: lynx, w3m and links.

I don't understand when you say you aborted at the lynx prompt. I
don't recall ever getting a "lynx prompt" when installing FreeBSD over
FTP or otherwise. Do you mean you were building the lynx port at
/usr/ports/www/lynx and it didn't work? I've had no problems with
/usr/ports/www/lynx-ssl/.

As far as linux vs FreeBSD, IMHO FreeBSD is a little more seat of the
pants than linux due to the large number of HOW-TO tutorials for
linux. FreeBSD is not harder than linux, just a little
different. (That's a hint that many of the linux how-to's at
www.linuxdoc.org are very helpful for FreeBSD. Things just might be in
slightly different directories. :-)

Good luck and
Hope you have a very nice day, :-)