Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2014 06:36:34 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Combining pkg and "traditional ports"

With the upcoming OS standardization on pkg (pkgng) following
the abolishment of the pkg_* toolset I'd like to ask questions
to those who already actively use pkg and have probably encountered
and solved the same "problems" that I'll be expecting:

There are two cases where a binary package can't be used:

a) There is no package.

Not all ports have equivalent packages. For example, I've seen
this recently for OpenArena. In this case, compiling is needed
(and even switching to gcc instead of clang, OS v10-RC2). Another
example is a localize OpenOffice / maybe LibreOffice.

How is this handled when a pkg-based "upgrade all" is performed?

b) The default options of the package can't be used.

My favourite example is mplayer (including all imaginable
codecs as well as mencoder and additionally the gmplayer
and gmencoder X applications), but it could also apply for
a HAL-less X and HAL-less applications. But also OpenOffice
can be considered again, a localized version (german) with
dependencies for KDE, Gnome and CUPS deactivated (because I
don't use those).

Can those be protected from being overwritten?

Is there even a method of saying, like, "use binary packages
to upgrade everything excepts ports 'foo', 'bar', 'meow' and
'moo', compile those, but make sure their dependencies are
installed via packages when they are available and apply"?

>From my experience so far, pkg works really great. I'd just
like to know how it can be used in the few cases where the
exceptions need to be made intendedly.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany