Date:      Sat, 28 Jan 2006 12:27:07 -0500
From:      Byron Campbell <wa4geg@surfbest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   A strategic question

> This posting doesn't contain a technical question about FreeBSD, rather a
> strategic one.
>=20
> Some time ago, I wanted to migrate to a Unix environment, because I wanted
> to have a secure, stable, convenient and efficient environment for
> developing and running programs, no longer having to buy a new PC with a =
new
> OS and applications software every 3 years to support Bill Gates' only go=
al
> (becoming and remaining the richest man of the USA). At the end of the 20=
th
> century, it took us only a few years to have to upgrade from Win 95 to Win
> 95SE, to Win 98, to Win 98SE, and to Win ME, only to remain with a poor O=
S.
> Now, when reinstalling my version of Windows XP, it takes me more time to
> download and install the SP2 than to install Windows XP. I wonder how peo=
ple
> with a low-bandwidth Internet connection do to download the SP2 for Windo=
ws
> XP.
>=20
> I downloaded Solaris 10 and a lot of documentation about it, then install=
ed
> Solaris 10. As opposed to Linux and free BSD implementations of UNIX,
> Solaris looks like a professionally developed operating system. It seems =
> be1 a very advanced operating system. However, I soon realized that, when
> one wants a yacht, it is not a good idea to acquire the Queen Mary II, ju=
st
> as it costs too much time to acquire a hotel to have a cup of coffee.
>=20
> Then I downloaded what I thought being one of the best Linux distribution=
s,
> Suse Linux. I tried to install it, but the system got locked up by someth=
ing
> so stupid as my nVidia modem. Together with the heterogeneous quality of
> Linux components, and not at all liking Linus Torvald's arrogance, I deci=
ded
> to abandon Linux.
>=20
> I came to FreeBSD, with the idea that it had a more homogeneous quality
> development model, downloaded the FreeBSD 6.0 boot CD and CD 1 and 2, and
> installed it on my PC, following the handbook.
>=20
> I knew UNIX is a toolkit intended to IT knowledge people, so it will never
> perform a breakthrough to the average desktop user. But my disappointment
> with FreeBSD was great.
>=20
> In fact, to install FreeBSD, one needs already a lot of knowledge about t=
he
> system. To acquire that knowledge, one needs experience on an installed
> system. But to have an installed system, one needs already a lot of
> knowledge about the system. That's the problem.

I too, coming from a M$ Windows Desktop environment, found the learning cur=
ve=20
for Unix to be a straight vertical line. But I was tired of fighting worms,=
=20
viruses and etc. and decided to invest in leaning Unix. And it didn't hurt=
=20
matters reading somewhere that FreeBSD is the base for Mac OS-X. If it is=20
secure enough for OS-X, it is plenty secure enough for my desktop workstati=
on=20
needs.

>=20
> The handbook doesn't tell you that, at the "last chance" message, you have
> to take out the boot CD and to insert CD 1. But if you don't do so, nothi=
ng
> gets installed.

If you have CD1 you do not need the boot CD. Boot and install from CD1. The=
n=20
CD2 will be called for during package_add as needed for the installation of=
=20
user selected packages, that is, for those packages not residing on CD1.=20

There is more than one way to do anything. And I've managed to not have to =
use=20
a CLI editor ever (FreeBSD 4.x to 6.0) Although I do plan to learn vi. That=
's=20
the beauty of FreeBSD. There are many paths and one can learn at ones own=20
pace. For me this means getting the FreeBSD workstation PC up and going fir=
st=20
and foremost so I can get some work done.=20

To do this I choose from the install menu "All system sources, binaries, do=
cs=20
and X window system".  Once that is done and the user and root accounts are=
=20
set up, making sure that the one standard user is a member of groups "wheel=
"=20
and "operator", exit the install process which reboots the system. Then I=20
test that I log in as both user and root. All being well I proceed with the=
=20
installation of KDE desktop. I like to use KDE's GUI editor KATE for doing=
=20
the final system configuration, i.e. to set up ppp, devfs, fstab, configure=
=20
the firewall and etc. And for my office needs, KDE (KOffice) has all the=20
apps. I need which keeps me M$ free.

Other FreeBSD enthusiast will have their own individual approach.

> I tried to setup an X Window environment (nVidia Geforce video adapter), =
but
> the horizontal and vertical refresh rates of the manufacturer didn't work=
, I
> had to experiment to find out the one X likes. Then I could startup X, on=
ly
> to not having configured at all my German keyboard.

Keep in mind that the vertical refresh rate and horizontal scan rate to use=
=20
are not those specifications of the video adapter, but rather those of your=
=20
monitor.=20

>=20
> I tried to install emacs during installation, but it didn't succeed.
> Returning to the post-installation tasks after having installed the system
> resulted in a successfull installation of emacs (working only after a sys=
tem
> reboot).

I have had similar difficulties in installing packages from the CD during t=
he=20
main system installation. So these days I first install "All system sources=
,=20
binaries, docs and X window system".  Then test that I can log in as root a=
nd=20
user, then go back into the install to get the applications I want.

>=20
> I could go on for hours with this kind of troubles. But now comes the
> strategic question.
>=20
> Why is it that FreeBSD people, who seem to be perfectly able to formulate
> correct algorithms for implementing UNIX concepts, and translating them i=
nto
> code, don't care at all about a novice user, providing him with an
> installation program that doesn't work as it should, even without a GUI?

I too found that the installation process takes some know-how. But it is=20
getting better. Years ago as a newbie my first attempts to install (FreeBSD=
=20
4.x) took several tries to get it right. To get a workstation up quickly, I=
=20
found Greg Lehey's book (The Complete FreeBSD, 4th ed.) a super resource.=20

>=20
> I know UNIX is all about solving problems, but is it really interesting to
> make it apparently deliberatly so difficult for a newcomer? Is it really =
the
> policy of those guys to make the entry level to UNIX difficult, only to
> avoid a breakthrough of UNIX (FreeBSD) to the desktop users?

I remember when learning how to ride a bicycle seemed deliberately difficul=
t.=20
But once you learn,.....

=46rom what I understand, there is a group concentrating on making FreeBSD=
=20
easier for beginners.  It may well be worth a look if you haven't tried it:

http://www.pcbsd.com/

Best regards,
Byron - WA4GEG