Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:20:44 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Incredibly slow mirror site

--==========34DE35F0EDCB8BFB51B1==========

--On Wednesday, October 04, 2006 10:29:33 +0100 Florent Thoumie=20
<flz@xbsd.org> wrote:

>> The problem i think is that many ports with multiple mirrors will use
>> mirrors from 3rd world countries first, and the mirrors with real
>> bandwidth will always be last on the list. Can anyone explain to me why
>> that is? Doesn't it make more sense to try the fastest one first?
>
> Belgium =3D=3D Third world? Now that's new :-)

I don't know about that, but that site is unbelieveably slow, and it=20
appears to be the first choice for all kde downloads.  I'm thinking there=20
must be something wrong, because kde upgrades have worked fine in the past.

I wonder if there's a way to add code to the ports stuff that checks=20
download speed and aborts if it's below some configurable number and tries=20
the next site in the list?

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas