Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:03:49 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
To:        "Chris H." <chris#@1command.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make KNOBS

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:35:23PM -0800, Chris H. wrote:
> But am struggling with finding the port(s) equivalent. If there isn't
> one, I'd be more that happy to dedicate a domain/ web site solely to
> providing this resource. Perhaps a wiki that I, and anyone else can
> add the WITH_/WITHOUT_ options, along with descriptions of exactly
> /what/ they provide. Seems like a /real/ valuable, and /needed/
> resource.

There is no equivalent.  Some ports allow "make showconfig" to show you
what knobs there are, but the majority do not.  And with the OPTIONS
framework, it deprecates the need for "showconfig" entirely.

Additionally, the WITH/WITHOUT variables seen in the Makefile are not
always what they seem.  For ports that use OPTIONS, you cannot define
these on the command-line (e.g. make WITHOUT_FRUIT=yes); you absolutely
MUST do 'make config' and then toggle them there.  (This is one piece of
the OPTIONS framework which I have always disliked, because some of us
use /etc/make.conf to define WITH/WITHOUT variables, and prefer to do
"cd /usr/ports/whatever && make clean && make && make install" and not
have something interactive pop up.  That's for another discussion
though...)

Also, there are some variables which are generally "global" across most
ports, such as WITHOUT_IPV6.  You wouldn't want to list those off in
every single port, because that'd be somewhat redundant.  There is no
existing list of these "global"-like variables either, although some are
listed in the /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.*.mk files.

Providing a web site listing them all off would not make much sense,
because ports change very often/quickly (the site would become outdated
the minute someone changes a port to add/remove a feature), and there's
no guarantee that the maintainer of the port will go to your site and
edit the Wiki page.

Instead, I would think said effort would be better spent implementing
the "showconfig" feature apply to all ports, and have it understand
OPTIONS stuffs.