Date:      Mon, 07 Dec 2015 11:13:46 -0500
From:      "Michael B. Eichorn" <ike@michaeleichorn.com>
To:        Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating to FreeBSD from Debian

On Mon, 2015-12-07 at 10:54 -0500, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Dec 2015, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> > > But we should warn then about not mixing ports & packages. I
> > > agree,
> > > pkg is a good choice [when pkg only].
> >
> > That's gradually become a much smaller issue than it used to be.
>
> What does the warning mean? That once I have installed a single
> package I
> can never use ports? So if I want a port, and already have packages,
> have to uninstall all of the packages first and can never in the
> future
> install any package? That seems extreme. Or is there a less
> restrictive
> interpretation that is more correct?
>
> daniel feenberg
> NBER

You can use them together, but you have to pay attention to make sure
that ports have options that are compatible with the options used to
create packages. Conversely you need to make sure that pkg doesn't
update a port with custom options back to a new package with the
default ones. Further it is important that the ports tree and the one
that packages are built off of stay in sync.

It can be done (with pkg lock, and the quartery ports branch), but it
tends to be fragile. For mixing in more than a handful of ports, using
poudriere (a personal repo builder) is usually better choice (esp. if
you have multiple systems).