Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 2015 13:52:22 +0000 (UTC)
From:      John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 10.1 ZFS - why canmount=off for /usr and /var by default?

Ben Woods <woodsb02 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> To quote Allan Jude when I posed this question to him:
>
> "The /usr dataset has 'canmount' set to off. It only exists so that other
> datasets can be created under it.

That makes sense.  But it is misleading to have the mountpoint set to /usr
and /var, isn't it?  In a zfs list, it looks as if it's being used for /usr
and /var, when really as you say it's a container.

I wonder - would there be a place I could submit a bug report to suggest
that the mountpoint property be inherited at the default rather than set for
these two filesystems?

> To use boot environments, you need to install the tool from the ports tree:
> sysutils/beadm-devel

Interesting.  That looks quite nice.  I need to read up a bit more on it,
clearly, since it seems to be more than just a zfs clone and zpool set
bootfs that I was expecting.

Thanks,

John