Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 2004 18:33:03 -0800
From:      Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
To:        "meimi" <meimi_1@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Server down regularly

At 11:12 AM 4/2/2004, meimi wrote:
>Actually, what I want to know is the general steps for finding the problems.

Step #1 - Look in the message log (/var/log/messages), and ideally a copy
of the console output, to see why you server stopped running. (or if your
server stopped running)

The latter is important because your server can seem to be "down" when the
problem is actually you cannot connect to it (the network is down).

If you can log into your server and get a shell prompt, then I would try
the command uptime(1) first, to see how long the server thinks its been
running, and then start looking at /var/log/messages for reboot messages,
and /var/crash for kernel coredumps (if you panic, and have savecore set,
it will create a core file there)

--Chuck