Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:34:31 -0500
From:      "Stephen Hilton" <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
To:        "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DVD software for FreeBSD?

Mark Hughes asked:

>>Would you mind dropping me (or the list, or both) an email saying how you
>>get on with the DVD playback and the Rage chipset? I've got one of these
>>graphics chipsets and would be interested to know how well it works
playing
>>back under freebsd.

I am currently using Matrox hardware, so no feedback regarding ATI available
here.

FreeBSD 4-Stable Workstation:
ASUS P3B-1394 motherboard w/on-board Aureal Vortex2 sound chip
(Thanks to Alexander Matey and Maxim Sobolev for Aureal chip support)
P3-600
256MB CAS-2 ram
Tekram DC-390U2W SCSI controller
Seagate ST39173LW hard drive
Toshiba SD-R1102 IDE DVD/CDR (DMA enabled)
Matrox Marvel G400*
 *(Terrible TV/MPEG capture driver support under Windows, dual-booters
beware)

XFree86 updated to 4 version via ports (native G400 support in XFree86
4.1.0)
Gnome + Sawfish Desktop
vlc version 0.2.82

Performance is good, video and sound are unsynced on startup
but stabilize fairly quickly. Slight chopping of video at times,
but for PC monitor viewing plenty good. I normally keep other processes
to a minimum to keep load off the system when watching DVD's and have
not felt the need to fiddle with process priorities (nice).

The FreeBSD-Multimedia mailing list is in my opinion an under utilized
resource for these topics, and could benefit from some more input.

check out the freebsd-multimedia mailing list archives at:
http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/2001/freebsd-multimedia/

and

http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/current/freebsd-multimedia.html

From the http://www.videolan.org website

---snip---

OpenSource DVD and MPEG tools for Linux, BeOS, FreeBSD, MacOS X,
QNX, Solaris, Windows, BSD/OS, AIX VideoLAN is a project of students
from the École Centrale Paris. Its main goals are MPEG and DVD
playing and broadcasting on the campus, but it also features a
standalone multimedia player that can read DVDs and MPEG files.
It will also eventually support streams from a satellite or from an
MPEG2 compression card. VideoLAN is free software, and is released
under the GNU General Public License.

More information can be found in the introduction section. You can
also check the mailing-lists, and if you want more real-time stuff,
you can meet the VideoLAN developers in #videolan on the
OpenProjects network (irc.openprojects.net).

---snip---

Who ever said "FreeBSD is not a good Desktop O.S." is just plain wrong!

Regards,

Stephen Hilton