Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:32:10 -0500
From:      Jud <Jud@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>, jmz <jmz@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Newbie: XFree86-4 and Permissions

jtonsing@operamail.com
>> Subject: Re: Newbie: XFree86-4 and Permissions

>>  > try doing chmod 644 ppp.conf
>>
>> This is not the solution. ppp.conf must remain unreadable by
>> users. Look at the ppp man page instead (search for 'allow user')
>>
>> Jean-Marc
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Marc Zucconi -- PGP Key: finger jmz@FreeBSD.org [KeyID: 400B38E9]
>>
>Thanks for the heads up.  I did not know that this file needed these
permissions.  You're right, allow users should do the trick and make sure that
your username is added to group network.  I need to do this on my system.

>Humbly Corrected
>Ian

With all respect, I think we may be barking up the wrong tree here.  The
"allow user" line has always been in my ppp.conf file, and I have included
myself as a member of the network group in /etc/group as well.  I was able to
use ppp as a regular user without any problem until installing XFree86-4.
During the XFree86-4 install I got a message about running xdm or installing
wrapper.  Since I've always used a .xinitrc file and am unfamiliar with xdm, I
chose to install wrapper.  While I somehow have managed to get the X server to
run without having to become superuser, something's changed somewhere since
the XFree86-4 installation that prevents me from having access to ppp other
than as root/superuser.

A possible clue that (my apologies) I should have included in my original
post: when logging out of the X server, I get messages that the
root/.Xauthority file does not exist.

Jud