Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:08:06 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sharing a swap partition between Linux and FreeBSD

On Monday, 27 August 2001 at  9:31:27 +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Is it possible to let FreeBSD use a Linux swap partition. Idea is
> obvious: Sharing disk and partition resources in mixed OS setups.

Currently swapon(8) refuses to swap to anything which is not a FreeBSD
swap partition.  Linux is not so fussy, so it seems the solution is to
change the Linux swap partition type to a FreeBSD slice and create a
single FreeBSD swap partition within the slice.  This works fine for
FreeBSD, of course; the only possible problem I can see is that Linux
will overwrite the partition info.  I'd be interested if anybody can
confirm or deny this.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.