Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:14:31 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org" <freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Prioritizing bluetooth devices?

On 02/16/07 17:37, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> Eric,
>
>> I have just set up my Treo 700p using bluetooth and kpilot to sync
>> (thanks Bruce/Maksim!!!!).  I notice that when I'm doing a backup of my
>> palm and it's downloading a ton of stuff, my bluetooth connection is
>> jammed full, so my bluetooth mouse is slow/lags.  I don't have a
>> bluetooth keyboard, but if I did (and if it worked), then I'm certain it
>> would be present there too.
>>
>> So, my question is: is it possible to prioritize the bluetooth profiles
>> so that HID gets priority over things like serial, LAN, etc?
>
> in theory, this should not be happening, because each bluetooth slave
> has reserved slots in which it can transmit data. also bluetooth hid
> devices usually set "quality of service" parameters on bluetooth link.
>
> so, the problem could be either in the freebsd bluetooth code itself
> (i.e. it uses very simple packet scheduler that might not behave very
> well under load) or in packet scheduler in the device's "link
> manager", i.e. firmware.

The system was idle (CPU-wise) but I had the bluetooth link slammed
transferring the entire contents of my palm (about 50MB).  I've never
had a problem otherwise, even when keeping both CPU's (this is a Core 2
Duo system) hammered.  As soon as the transfer stopped, mouse was again
responsive.

> other than setting "quality of service" parameters on bluetooth link
> and/or forcing device to use only packets of certain size (i.e. 1,2 or
> 3-slots, which, btw, likely to reduce throughput) i doubt there is
> anything else (standard) that can be used to prioritize bluetooth
> profiles.
>
> if you can, please try to switch to bluetooth 2.0 dongle (if you have
> not already)

As far as I know, this is a 2.0 dongle already (came with my laptop -
Dell D820, so it's built in).

Eric

An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions.