Date:      Sat, 06 May 2000 14:03:26 +1000
From:      Craig Wilson <craig@natsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SLOW DIRECTORY LOOKUPS

I have a stange problem on one of my FreeBSD 2.2.7 servers with
a DPT SMART RAID IV controller where directory scans are very slow
ie
opendir(".");
with repeated readdir()'s with 5000 files in the directory
it takes 15 seconds to read this directory 70 times,
where on our other FreeBSD 2.2.2 & 2.2.6 machines this takes less
than 1 second.

The machine was performing ok, does anyone know what may have
caused this.

Thanking you in advance.

Craig Wilson
National Software Pty Ltd