Date:      Sat, 01 Aug 1998 17:01:29 -0400
From:      matthew jennings <alchemic@geocities.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading sound drivers from 2.2.6-RELEASE

[long quotes cut regarding my troubles with sound drivers in xquake]

> > Is there some way I can upgrade my sound drivers to the ones present in
> > 3.0-CURRENT? Or is this impossible without upgrading the entire system?
>
> it depends on which one, since there are two drivers -- VoxWare and
> Luigi's.

I'm currently using the snd0, sb0, sbmidi0, and sbxvi0 drivers in
2.2.6-RELEASE. I believe these are the VoxWare drivers. I tried ftp'ing
the /src/sys/i386/isa/sound directory from ftp.freebsd.org and
recompiling the kernel, but this gave errors related to missing files (I
believe it was looking for sys/poll.c and something called css.c). So,
am I stuck with the drivers present in 2.2.6?