Date:      Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:03:38 -0700
From:      Rene Brehmer <listbunny@metalbunny.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error "Can't load kernel" on install boot-up

At 01:18 10/12/2005, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
>Kent Stewart wrote:
>
>>On Friday 09 December 2005 10:47 am, Rene Brehmer wrote:
>>

>>>Hi gang, I'm new here. I tried searching the archives, and although I
>>>found a post with the same subjec, I didn't find any answers.
>>>Also posted this in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.
>>>
>>>I downloaded the latest i386 ISOs from the freebsd.org FTP, and
>>>burned them onto CD-RWs (I used RWs cuz I want to be sure they work
>>>before burning them permanently) using Nero 6 on WinXP Pro (10x
>>>disk-at-once).
>>>
>>I always use Nero 6 on XP to burn my CDs. They always burn at 42x.
>>They always work. So, Nero isn't a problem.
>>
>Hrm.  Reading these two paragraphs together causes a wee flicker
>of consternation in my thought process; but, it could be because
>it's real late here.  "I want to be sure they work before burning
>them permanently" seems to me to indicate what, IIRC, is "UDF Packet
>Writing" software, and I wouldn't be at all surprised is that was
>a contributing factor here; however, IANAE.

I don't use UDF or Packet Writing ... keep them permanently turned
off as I never use them and they're more problems than they're worth.

I burn on CD-RWs, but with closed sessions, to test if the images
work. I don't wanna waste CD-Rs on broken images. Normally I've never
had any problems using CD-RWs for bootdisks, this is the first time.

>The interesting thing is that the bootloader seems to load.

Yeah, the bootloader loads, then seems to try and load the kernel,
and then fails.  But it doesn't do it with a bunch of corrupted
characters like a lot of other reports.

Rene

--
Rene Brehmer
aka Metalbunny

We have nothing to fear from free speech and free information on the
Internet but pop-up advertising!

http://metalbunny.net/
References, tools, and other useful stuff...
Check out the new Metalbunny forums at http://forums.metalbunny.net/