Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 18:27:24 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        ip@mcc.ac.uk
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make mfs /tmp bigger?

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Ian Pallfreeman wrote:

> My repository/cvsupd/mirror machine is bleating about /tmp filling up during
> the overnight jobs, and I'm running /tmp as mfs. How do I increase the size?
>
> 	bash# grep tmp /etc/fstab
> 	/dev/sd0b                   /tmp            mfs     rw,-s=131072 0 0
> 	bash# mount /tmp
> 	bash# df /tmp
> 	Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> 	mfs:11035       31391        1    28879     0%    /tmp
>
> I suspect this is something to do with the "fake disklabel" in newfs.c; I've
> tried twiddling various numbers to no avail -- I seem to be hitting this 32Mb
> limit whatever I put in there!

You didn't specify the version, but the problem is with recent 2.2 code
(from about August and later). It has to do with login.conf. The mfs
daemon runs under login class "daemon", which, by default, has a datasize
limit of 32MB. Increase the limits to something more reasonable, or patch
the mfs code to disregard the limits when running as root. For more info,
see the GNATS report of this problem (misc/4576)

> TIA,
>
> Ian.
> --
>  Network Unit, SNOT Team, Manchester Computing, The University, Manchester, UK.
>      mail: ip@mcc.ac.uk | phone: +44-161-275-6006 | fax: +44-161-275-6040
>        Where once we had dragons to slay, now we just sacrifice chickens.
> 	       28,000 users, 155Mb/s networking, and a 486. :-(

Nadav