Date:      14 Oct 1999 10:50:08 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        "James" <jrsysadmin@empireone.net>
Cc:        "zoonie" <zoonie@zilch.org>, "Dan Nelson" <dnelson@emsphone.com>, "Dan Larsson" <support@junglenote.com>, "[FreeBSD-ISP-List] (E-post)" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, "[FreeBSD-Questions-List] (E-post)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how-to setup billing per MB?

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:56:59 -0700, "James" <jrsysadmin@empireone.net> said:

James> is there anywhere that someone can take a freebsd admin class
James> for an isp??

Not that I'm aware of. For a start I'd suggest:

* reading all you can (the O'Reilly book "Getting connected
  at 56K and up" is a good overview of all things ISP-oriented)..

* following all the ISP related lists and groups (e.g. inet-access too)

* maybe volunteer at a local ISP first (you'll find out it's not as
  glamorous as you may think when users call you at 3am cuz they
  can't get at some porn site); you might also try to find a local
  non-profit ISP that could use volunteer help.

* try setting up stuff at home: RADIUS authentication, PPP dial-in,
  web servers, FTP servers, user accounts that are prevented from
  seeing each other, logging, accounting, billing software; figure out
  how to recover when one of your critical boxes catches fire.

* learn everything you can about network security: you'll be hacked by
  both outsiders and insiders.