Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 11:31:15 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Eddie Irvine <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed0 device: Gruesome performance with TCP

On Sat, 18 April 1998 at  9:51:20 +1000, Eddie Irvine wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Have done some tests and found that my 2.2 stable box is giving
> only between 5 kb/sec and 25 kb/sec with ftp and samba.
>
> 10BaseT network, NE2000 compatable ed0 device on the isa
> bus.
>
> This slowness has been isolated to the BSD box.
>
> It took me 6 months to notice this - I usually just run netatalk
> and a apache, and I was trying to find out why samba was
> so slow. Netatalk can transfer files at around 0.5 Mb/sec -
> which is around what I'd expect.
>
> When the really slow ftp process is running, I notice the
> collision light on the network hub is blinking on and of
> about once a second - steady - even when there
> are only two machines up on the network.
>
> On the other hand, I the put in a PCI 10 base T NE2000
> card (ed1) and configured that as the primary
> interface, rebooted, and voila! ftp is now around
> 600 kb/sec.
>
> I still need to use the ISA card as I'm running out of slots,
> (will be using the BSD box as a router).
>
> Any pointers as to where I should start troubleshooting?
> I due to all the collisions that occur I'm beginning to think
> it is a shonky card.

Microsoft creates a new TCP connection for every packet.  Microsoft's
IP software seems to be able to handle this overload relatively well,
since it's monolithic, but samba requires several context switches,
which makes it much slower.  You should have the socket option
TCP_NODELAY set in your configuration file.  See page 493 of "The
Complete FreeBSD", second edition.

Greg