Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:52:56 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue2@welearn.com.au>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Jason Lewicki <jtodd@triax.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation

On Sat, Mar 14, 1998 at 03:35:04PM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Jason Lewicki wrote:
>
> > I recently purchased the 4 cd set of freebsd from walnut creek.  I am
> > trying to install to a secondary hard drive.  I get into the
> > installation just fine.  I am booting off the cd and going straight into
> > install.  after it goes through detection of my hardware I get a blank
> > screen with a solid cursor in the bottom left corner of the screen.
> > What does this mean?  It just sits there with no activity and the
> > installation halts.
>
> The system's gotten stuck looking for something.  If you have a Zip drive,
> disconnect it; this seems to be the showstopper for more recent versions.
> Hopefully this will end with the inclusion of a Zip driver in the next
> release.

Got any other hints? I'm having the same problem as Jason, using a 386 which
used to run FreeBSD (same version, 2.2.2) but has since had its SCSI
controller and FreeBSD disk and second I/O card removed, leaving the DOS
IDE. No other hardware has been changed, and I've tried disabling everything
nonessential in UserConfig (eventually all of Network and Communications) in
case there was unseen problems. No change. The same installation diskette
has been used successfully on another machine.

It seems to find the hardware happily and finishes each time with
/stand/sysinstall running as init
and then clears the screen but leaves it blank instead of displaying the menu.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more