Date:      Sat, 3 May 2003 13:08:16 -0400
From:      Paul Dlug <paul@aps.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS problems with bge driver

I recently installed 3Com Gigabit NIC's using the bge driver in 5 Dell
1550's running FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE (cvsup'ed and built as of weds this
past week). Each one of the exhibits the same behavior, the following
error messages come up on boot, it seems that the bge driver is coming
up after the NFS mounts begin. Once I get a login prompt and look the
filesystems are unmounted, a 'mount -a' successfully mounts everything
so it's just during the boot process that it fails. Error messages are
below, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mounting NFS file systems:bge0: gigabit link up
bge0: gigabit link up
192.168.2.3:/vol/vol0/freebsd/ports: nfsd: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Port
mapper failure
  - RPC: Unable to send

nfs: Cannot immediately mount 192.168.2.3:/vol/vol0/freebsd/ports,
backgrounding
192.168.2.3:/vol/vol0/freebsd/src: nfsd: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Port mapper
failure -
  RPC: Unable to send

Additional daemons: syslogd.
Doing additional network setup: ntpd.
Starting final network daemons: nfsiod NFS access cache
time=2rpc.umntall: 192.1
68.2.3: RPCPROG_MNT: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to send

rpc.umntall: 192.168.2.3: RPCPROG_MNT: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC:
Unable to
  send

My other hosts are Dell 1650's using embedded Intel gigabit NIC's which
don't seem to have the same problem.

Thanks,
Paul