Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:50:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        Enno Davids <nconedd@peppermint.national.com.au>
Cc:        sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au, danp@erinyes.net, pab@purplecat.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail question (sorry if this is the wrong list)

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Enno Davids wrote:

> | > Is it guaranteed not to stuff up permissions/ownerships?
> |
> | Guarantee?  You've got to be kidding :)
> |
> | I think it is LESS LIKELY to do so.
>
> Ordinarily this is why us old timers use tar or cpio. Something like this:
>
> cd srcdir ; tar -cf - . | (cd destdir ; tar -xvpf - )
>
> Note the use of the 'p' flag to preserve perms/owners/etc.

It looks like under FreeBSD the move is safe....

According to the man page anyways.

(I too have used the tar on systems where the move was not safe)

I've also used cp then rm -r with the appropriate flags...

That way you can make sure everything works and cp tends to be a lot
better..

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE