Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 1995 10:13:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@dvals1.larc.nasa.gov>
To:        jmrueda@diatel.upm.es (Javier Martin Rueda)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automounting a CD-ROM

> I want to use amd to automount CD-ROMs.
>
> The idea is that whenever a user inserts a disk in the CD-ROM drive he/she
> doesn't need to be root to mount the filesystem. Instead, the CD-ROM appears
> automagically in /cdrom in read-only mode.
>
> I've never used amd or any other automounter before, and I've been looking at
> the amd and amq man pages, as well as at a PostScript document included in the
> sources of amd in FreeBSD 2.0R, but I haven't found at a first glance how to
> do that.
>
> Can anybody please post an example configuration file for what I pretend?
> Thanks in advance.

 We want somthing like this... but it isn't quite that automagic ( sgi has that
 but at the cost of pinging the scsi bus every 1 or two seconds yuk! )

 what you can have is a directory that they can cd into and if there is a
 cdrom there, it will mount it.  The problem exists that you cannot change
 the type of filesystem that is mounted with out doing some tom-foolery and
 using the program filesystem to mount the cd. If somone has as solution to
 this it could be very nice indeed ( might be somthing to think about
 including in the next release. ) I have not been able to get it to work.

  -branson

--
MATHESON, E BRANSON                                 E.B.MATHESON@LaRC.NASA.GOV
    Mail Stop 931                                COMPUTER SCIENCES CORPORATION