Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:52:02 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Dallas De Atley <deatley@apple.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

-On [20020130 17:33], David O'Brien (obrien@FreeBSD.ORG) wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 11:33:26AM +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
>> Real hackers would use unifdef(1) for the #ifdef's.
>
>Someone please explain what is so bad with __P() ; or is this just the
>small bike shed everyone can possibly undrestand sufficently to comment
>on?

I cannot fully oomment on the motiviations of others.
For me it is the fact that there is no consistency.  And the facts that:

1) two ANSI C standards have passed, lets put some effort in making use
   of the features they provide
2) it solves a problem not present in ANSI C, namely prototype support,
   see #1
3) it is a macro, macros tend to hide things [the preprocessor is a
   blunt tool to use]

Also, commenting this to be a bikeshed while it is a serious
request/question about code maintainability and clean-ups is not really
constructive.

Since you were friendly enough not to provide any constructive feedback
whatsoever towards the issue other than labeling it a bikeshed, let me
ask something in return:

What is __P()'s higher motive and function that it needs to be present
still?

>> Anyway, are you scared of ANSI C?
>
>Are you scared of K&R C?

Bad practices scare me.  And K&R has been discussed to death on various
fori before, and the large majority agreed that it should be replaced by
ANSI C89 at least.  If you do not start somewhere, you will never arrive
anywhere.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven / asmodai / Kita no Mono / xMach coreteam
asmodai@[wxs.nl|xmach.org], finger asmodai@ninth-circle.org