Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 2009 18:07:41 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFSKnownProblems - needs revision?

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 02:50:33PM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Ivan Voras wrote:
>
> > * Are the issues on the list still there?
> > * Are there any new issues?
> > * Is somebody running ZFS in production (non-trivial loads) with
> > success? What architecture / RAM / load / applications used?
> > * How is your memory load? (does it leave enough memory for other services)
>
> also: what configuration (RAIDZ, mirror, etc.?)

I've been playing with 8.0 zfs on low end machines(laptops with 768MB-1GB
RAM and just one disk device).

I have successfully made them boot off of ZFS using gpt, this is not
mentioned in ZFSOnRoot. I used the guide found here:

http://blogs.freebsdish.org/lulf/category/freebsd/

Also still requires manually recompiling loader with ZFS support.
Shouldn't this made trhe default in 8.0?

I had a panic while doing a make clean in the openoffice port after
compilation due to kmem exhaustion using the tuning suggested in the
Tuning Guide; solved by using these:

vm.kmem_size="384M"
vm.kmem_size_max="384M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="40M"
vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size="5M"

this is on an i386 laptop with 768 MB RAM, I should experiment a little
with cache.size and arc_max too...

On a 1GB RAM laptop(it's an EeePC labelled 904HA, has a 160GB disc)
I'm using slughtly higher values with success for now, but I've
installed this just a few days ago and have not made any tests.

The last thing I noticed is the knownproblems wiki reports swapping
on zfs' zvols is not working. I have not stress tested this to the
limit, but my systems are successfully working with zvols as the
only swapping device and actively swaping to it. What could be a
good way to stress test his to the limit?

hope these information helps someway.

I'd like to test ZFS on some serious hardware with serious load, but I
haven't had the chance at work for the time being.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>