Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:33:34 -0600
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        "Wendell Anderson" <wanderson@nac.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configuring KDE on FreeBSD 6.0

On 2/24/06, Wendell Anderson <wanderson@nac.net> wrote:
> I have successfully installed FreeBSD 6.0  with X.org and
> KDE 3.4.3.
>
> When I execute "startx" the  "tcm"  windowing system, starts
> up fine. However when I try starting KDE, I get x-server errors.
>
> I need help in configuring KDE to proper operation.
>

>From root issue:
/usr/local/bin/kdm
(I think there's where kdm installs to by default,
you can probably get by with just typing kdm)
or change the line in /etc/ttys:
ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
to something more like:
ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm" xterm on secure
which should start kde at boot.

Note, the exact syntax of these escapes me, try:
where kdm
man kdm
Also note, if you've installed user accounts with uids below
1000, I believe kde will not allow you to log in until you've
edited the kdm config file, which I cannot recall where that
lives.  man kdm should answer that.