Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:43:35 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VPN Newbie has a silly question

On 01/12/03 07:35 PM, Adam Maas sat at the `puter and typed:
> Big question is 'Is that Cisco box doing NAT?' If so, you might as well
> stick to SSH Tunneling, because IPSEC won't do encryption through a NAT'ing
> firewall. Solution 3 is to look to see if anybody ported the GRE (CISCO
> Proprietary VPN Protocol) support from Linux.

I don't think it is doing NAT - I'll check before investing long
nights into this.

And the Cisco client has been ported, but it hasn't been made to work
on FreeBSD in compatibility mode.  One of the folks I work with tried
for a while and gave up.  Something to do with a hardcoded ethernet
interface and some wierdness with making it configurable or changing
it at all.  I've never gotten a look at the code myself, but I've been
severly discouraged from attempting it.  I don't know why.

Thanks for the heads up.

Lou

> --Adam

Reporter, n.:
  A writer who guesses his way to the truth and dispels it with a
  tempest of words.