Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 20:59:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Exabyte 8mm tape drive performance in -current?

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >I have observed that the (read and write) performance of my 8mm
> >Exabyte tape drives on my -current system runs roughly half of what
> >it is on my 2.1-stable systems (100kb/sec vs. 200kb/sec).  This is
> >with both the NCR 810 and Adaptec 2940 adapters and using programs
> >such as dump, tar, dd, team.  The systems that I have compared have
> >roughly the same hardware (both are 100MHz Pentiums).  Performance
> >on my Wangtek QIC-525 tape drive is about the same.  Can anybody
> >offer up an explaination of why this is and what might be done to
> >fix it?
>
> I'd like to see if I can reproduce this on my system here.  I have
> both a -stable and -current boot configuration so I can test on
> both.  I'm using an Archive Python though, but if this is a generic
> SCSI problem, it should still show up.  Do you have a particular
> benchmark script you'd like me to use?

For the sake of simplicity, I have just been using dd.  I dd a
large (>40mb) file to the tape using a bs= specification of 32k or
so.  Dump, and tar show similar performance differences.

My most recent run on my -current system looks like this:

bob@han-p1 /usr/src> dd bs=32k if=cscope.out of=/dev/rst2 conv=sync
1369+1 records in
1370+0 records out
44892160 bytes transferred in 405 secs (110844 bytes/sec)

and for this drive:

bob@han-p1 /home/bob> mt -f /dev/rst2 status
Present Mode:   Density = 0x00         Blocksize = 512 bytes
---------available modes---------
Mode 0:         Density = 0x00         Blocksize = 512 bytes
Mode 1:         Density = X3.136-1986  Blocksize = 512 bytes
Mode 2:         Density = X3.39-1986   Blocksize variable
Mode 3:         Density = X3.54-1986   Blocksize variable

is what mt status looks like.  Note that I am unable to change the
blocksize to 0 (or anything else) with the mt blocksize command.

For the equivalent operation on one of my 2.1-stable systems I get:

bob@luke-pd /usr/src> dd bs=32k if=cscope.out of=/dev/rst1 conv=sync
1334+1 records in
1335+0 records out
43745280 bytes transferred in 213 secs (205376 bytes/sec)

with an mt status of:

bob@luke-pd /usr/src> mt -f /dev/rst1 status
Present Mode:   Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable
---------available modes---------
Mode 0:         Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable
Mode 1:         Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable
Mode 2:         Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable
Mode 3:         Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable

Thanks,
--
Bob Willcox
bob@luke.pmr.com