Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:11:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Skrab <bgs@pinky.us.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linksys WPC11 with 128bit WEP to Linksys WAP11???

Hello,

	I've just installed 4.5-RELEASE on my old Fujitsu notebook, and am
	having some trouble getting my WPC11 card to talk 128bit WEP to a
	Linksys WAP11 access point.  I can manage to get them to connect
	reliably if I disable WEP and "open" the access point.  I can also
	get the devices to connect using 64bit WEP and an "open" access
	point, but after about three to five minutes, the IP connection goes
	dead.  The access point still shows the card associated, but network
	communications fail over the air.  Re-running ifconfig will get the
	card back up for a few more minutes, but only to end with the same
	results.  128bit WEP fails to work at all as far as I can tell.

	Has anyone else managed to get any level of WEP encryption working
	reliably with this set of hardware?  If so, which release/patched
	version of FreeBSD are you using?  Also, what commands are you
	using to configure the card?

	Additionally, I'm having trouble setting the 'authmode' parameter
	using ifconfig.  When I include the authmode parameter to ifconfig,
	I receive an error message indicating that there is an invalid
	parameter.  Removing the authmode parameter results in a successful
	execution of ifconfig.  The ifconfig man page lists valid values for
	this parameter as 'shared', 'open', and 'none'.  Perhaps this
	option is not supported by the WPC11 card?

	Any tips, pointers, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

	Thank you,

	~brian skrab
	 bgs@pinky.us.net