Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2018 10:39:25 +0100
From:      Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
To:        "h1997xy@gmail.com" <h1997xy@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org>, "freebsd-mips@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-mips@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: GSOC-Suggestions on choose hardwork to work on

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 20:04:32 +0000
"h1997xy@gmail.com" <h1997xy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> My name is Hebe, and I am a y2 computer science student interested in the "Improve support for an embedded CPU/board" gsoc project.
> As a computer science student, it is hard to choose a hardware. By any chance, would you mind providing some advice on which CPU to work on? Which specific type of CPU is the most in-demand?
> Thank you for your time!
>
> Sincerely,
> Hebe

 It really depend on a lot of things, if you're not too familiar with
embedded kernel dev starting with an SoC that's already correctly
supported (Allwinner, IMX6, AM335X) and add drivers for missing
subsystem is probably best.
 There is also work that could benefit all SoC (and even all archs)
like doing a proper spi or pwm subsystem (with userland tools like
libpwm and pwmctl etc ...).
 On the most in-demand question I guess RPi support is wanted from our
users for not from our devs. Allwinner is also popular.

 Cheers,

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> <manu@freebsd.org>