Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2016 12:04:05 +0000
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Are system updates without reboots possible?

The latest security advisory on openssl contains the usual mantra

"Restart all deamons using the library, or reboot the system."

I usually just reboot but find myself wondering if there's a reliable
*automatic* way of identifying which running programs use any given
library (or set of libraries), and identify whether or not they're
daemons controlled by service(8).

I suppose root could use ps and ldd to identify affected programs, but
this seems like brute force and I can't see how to tie into the
service(8) structure.

Anybody got ideas on this? It could be useful for updating servers you'd
rather not reboot.

--
Moore's Law of Mad Science: Every eighteen months, the minimum IQ
necessary to destroy the world drops by one point.