Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 16:51:22 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue2@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk confusion

On Sat, Aug 15, 1998 at 01:24:08PM -0400, CyberPeasant wrote:
> Sue Blake wrote:
> > To do the installation (from CD) I disabled the IDE (wdc0) and
> > unplugged sd0, making the working disk take the name sd0 temporarily.
> > Now of course it's called sd1 again.
>
> Ouch.
>
> I bet "real" sd1's /etc/fstab is just chock full of references to
> sd0sX

Thanks Dave, and the others who tactfully reminded me of a few things in
private mail :-)

For the record, I booted off another disk, mounted sd1, fixed up /etc/fstab
and made the sd1s1a style devices from there, and after re-re-enabling wdc0
(kernelconfig didn't stick on a read-only /) it all works fine.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-