Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:56:01 -0500
From:      Edmond Baroud <SoHo@admin.fido.ca>
To:        Igor Pokrovsky <igor.pokrovsky@cnrm.meteo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with getting through firewall using CVSup

I've had the same situation here and I couldn't convince our "security" team to open 5999 for my cvsups. I do have ssh (22tcp) open, and a box at home, on which I setup xinetd to accept connections on localhost:5999 => cvsup7.freebsd.org:5999 added cvsup7.freebsd.org as alias to my localhost in /etc/hosts and tunneled 5999 through ssh between my office_box and my home_box ;)

hope this helps,

Ed.

Quoting Igor Pokrovsky (igor.pokrovsky@cnrm.meteo.fr):
> Hello,
>
> I'm in despair. I cannot get past firewall to update
> my sources and ports of FreeBSD. At least it seems
> to me that this is a firewall problem.
> I tried to use all options with -P. Nothing happends,
> every time cvsup writes after quite a long pause, that
> connection to server refused. It is interesting, that
> about a week ago I used the same cvsup on the same system
> (FreeBSD-stable)
> successfully. Some day something happend (perhaps somebody
> reconfigured firewall) and nothing is working now.
>
> Here is my cvsup file:
> *default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
> *default prefix=/usr/home/src/CVS/FreeBSD
> *default base=/usr/home/src/CVS
> *default release=cvs
> *default delete compress use-rel-suffix
>
> ## Main Source Tree
> src-all
>
> # Other stuff
> ports-all
> www
> doc-all
>
> I tried to use different mirrors, nothing helps.
>
> Version of cvsup is SNAP_16_1f.
>
> --
> Igor

Edmond Baroud
UNIX Systems Admin             mailto:SoHo@admin.fido.ca
Fingerprint  140F 5FD5 3FDD 45D9 226D  9602 8C3D EAFB 4E19 BEF9
"UNIX is very user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are."