Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:32:32 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xl0 packet dropping, still

At 10:47 PM 2/17/00 -0500, Omachonu Ogali wrote:
>I've gotten reports of the 3Com NIC's dropping packets in all OS's using
>an Intel CPU, it's more or less a sporadic problem I say...

The 3Com's have higher collision rates (tested over long periods) and don't
autsense most of the time, which the Intel does much better.

Frankly I can't see anyone using a 3Com considering all the problems that
crop up on the lists, but then I've been happy with Intel NIC since the
Pro100B came out. ;)

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve