Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:48:43 -0400
From:      "James L. Lauser" <james@jlauser.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Another zfs sharenfs issue

Adrian's email reminded me that I'm having a persistent issues with 'zfs
sharenfs' as well, which I don't think is related.

On my server, I have two datasets exported, pool/mythtv and pool/home/james:

[Sledge:~] james$ zfs get sharenfs | grep local
pool/home/james                sharenfs  -alldirs -mapall james
quadraplex  local
pool/mythtv                    sharenfs  -alldirs -mapall mythtv
herman     local

Whenever I have to reboot sledge, I lose the ability to mount my home
directory export from quadraplex.  When I attempt the mount, I get a
'permission denied' error from the server.  Running "sudo zfs set
sharenfs='-alldirs -mapall james quadraplex' pool/home/james" (setting
it to what it's already set to) fixes the problem, and it remains fixed
until I reboot the machine again.  This ONLY affects the share to
quadraplex.  The mythtv share to herman works without issue.

The server is 8-STABLE (built a few days ago, right after ZFSv28 was
MFC'd) on amd64.  The machine is currently running ZFSv28, but this
problem has existed since well before that upgrade.  I am running the
"experimental" NFS server, but not using NFSv4.  Switching to the old
server does not seem to affect anything.

Both clients are Ubuntu 11.04 on x86_64.

The only thought I had was the fact that I'm trying to export
/home/james, but /home itself is not exported.  Exporting it as well,
however, did not fix the problem.

Other useful info:

[Sledge:~] james$ uname -a
FreeBSD Sledge.home.jlauser.net 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #13: Wed
Jun  8 00:08:53 EDT 2011
root@Sledge.home.jlauser.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
[Sledge:~] james$ grep nfs /etc/rc.conf
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfsv4_server_enable="YES"

[Quadraplex:~] james$ grep sledge /etc/fstab
sledge:/home/james      /mnt/sledge     nfs     rw,tcp,nfsvers=3,async
0       0

Any insight would be appreciated, though seeing as how I only normally
reboot the server about 4 times per year, this isn't exactly a very high
priority issue.

--
-- James L. Lauser
    james@jlauser.net