Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:28:43 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Supported ATA RAID controller

Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Where can i find a list of supported software ATA RAID (on motherboard
> chipsets) controllers for FreeBSD 5.3? I checked the hardware notes for=

> 5.3-RC2 but there is nothing specific, the man page for ata is not too
> clear either, and there is no man page for ar. Can someone point me to =
the
> right resource?

The only one with true FreeBSD support is Promise. The nextbest bet is=20
Highpoint but they changed formats a few times lately I'm not sure about =

those. RAID5 modes are not supported on any of them though.

For other chipsets the matter gets moru fuzzy, most of those chipsets=20
doesn't come from the factory with a softraid soultion, so makers pull=20
thier own or gets LSI or Adaptec to roll one. Needless to say its can be =

a mess to support, and so far only LSI in an older format is supported.

That said, I have support for SiI, LSI new format, Adaptec HostRAID and=20
Intel in the works, but its not officially supported yet and needs more=20
testing and polishing before it gets there...

At any rate, if you dont need to boot from a RAID0 (striped) array, any=20
ATA controller (without RAID "features") will do with atacontrol.

--=20

-S=F8ren