Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 18:30:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        kushn@mail.kar.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: XFree86 & elf

> BTW, I'm probably just stupid, but would please some kind soul explain 2
> things:
> i) Do we need underscore for elf dlsym? 'Cause I (just out of ignorance)
> commented out #define PREPEND_UNDERSCORE in
> xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86Dl.c (now it's init_module
> instead of _init_module and so on) - and X loads modules without
> complaint,

ELF changes the semantics of compiled symbols.  The "_" namespace is
reserved for implementation, so user defined symbols don't get a
prepended underscore.

This is, IMO, an error on the order of "any file without a leading / is
assumed to be in the root directory", but that's the ABI definition
for System V (ELF itself doesn't make this requirement, actually).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.