Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 20:25:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.3R/3.4R: can't make it to sysinstall from boot floppies for system install ...

Hi,

I have both the Walnut Creek CD-ROM FreeBSD 3.3 and FreeBSD 3.4 Release.
I am unable to get to the sysinstall program to install FreeBSD when
booting for either fresh install or upgrade. I don't get that far.

Here's how I made my boot floppies from CD-ROM for both releases:

   dd if=kern.flp of=/dev/rsd0
   dd if=mfsroot.flp of=/dev/rsd0

Trying the 3.3 Release floppies to boot, here is what I get for messages:

   [insert 3.3. kern.flp boot floppy and power cycle the PC]
   kernel text=<blah> zf_read: fill error
   elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
   can't load module '/kernel': input/output error

   Hit [Enter] to blah blah ...

   End of story for 3.3 ...

Trying the 3.4 Relase floppies to boot, here is what I get for messages:

   [insert 3.4. kern.flp boot floppy and power cycle the PC]

   Please insert MFS root floppy and press enter: [switch floppies and enter]

   zf_read: fill error

   Hit [Enter] to ...

   <Now I make it into the UserConfig program and I select the option
   "Start Kernel configuration in full screen visual mode. When I am
   done I have only the appropriate drivers for the hardware and no
   confilicts. I press Q and save. Then it continues on...>

   probes hardware as usual, shows devices/drivers etc
   waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
    <I don't belive it lists my SCSI devices here, shouldn't it?>
   changing root device to fd0c
   root device 2880 blah ...
   exec /stand/sysinstall: error 8
   init: not found
   panic: no init

   End of story for 3.4 ...

Q: What is the zf_read error I get on both releases?
Q: Is this normal for all users?
Q: Is is serious or can I disreguard this message?
Q: I am using the correct boot floppies in the correct order right?
Q: I'm dumb founded at this point. Now what?

I've read through all the .txt files on the CD-ROM. I may have misssed
something. I've searched freebsd.og for zf_read error and found nothing.
This is my first entry into the 3.X releases. Everything I have is in
the 2.X, thus I have done about 75-100 installs of 2.X no problems ever,
but I'm stuck here. Help!

Here is my hardware setup:
   DEC 333i: 333MHz Pentium II, 64 MB RAM
   Adaptec 2940UW,
     1st SCSI HD has NTWS 4.0
     2nd SCSI HD has FreeBSD 2.2.7R
     Seagate SCSI DAT tape drive
   Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B
   Matrox Millenium II graphics card
   1.44MB Floppy drive
   IDE CD-ROM.
   PS/2 Mouse,

   The onboard SCSI and onboard ethernet is diabled in the BIOS (both
   unsupported versions in the 2.X branch) thus the Adaptec and NIC.

What gives?

Roger
rjohnson@hirshfields.com