Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2014 21:45:15 -0400
From:      "Garance A Drosehn" <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Simon Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
Cc:        sjg@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org, marcel@freebsd.org, phil@juniper.net
Subject:   Re: XML Output: libxo - provide single API to output TXT, XML, JSON and HTML

On 30 Jul 2014, at 21:37, Garance A Drosehn wrote:

> [...]   if you're going for machine-readable output then
> you'd want that in some format which was much more specific and
> *standard* (as opposed to arbitrary pretty-printed strings).
> Something like the ISO 8601 format used in obscure parts of lpd:
>
> #define LPD_TIMESTAMP_PATTERN    "%Y-%m-%dT%T%z %a"

> Or you could follow the example of EDN, and use rfc-3339-format
> (see '#inst' at https://github.com/edn-format/edn).  The nice
> thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

I should note that these two formats are very similar, and in fact
may be exactly the same.  I kept meaning to see if there was any
difference between them.  I just noticed that the rfc has the 'Z'
suffix as an option for a timezone, and I don't think that the ISO
one does.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn                =     drosih@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org