Date:      29 May 2003 17:34:36 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade issue

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 18:40, Peter Avalos wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 09:04:28PM -0400, Jerry A! wrote:
> > On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 05:51:33PM -0700, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> > : follow the suggestion and actually *use* the suggested refuse file you
> > : will then be unable to follow the other suggestion and ever use
> > : portupgrade, or else fix portupgrade so that it does not dump it guts
> > : out if a language dependency is missing.
> > :
> > : Very frustrating and totally unnecessary.  Especially since I now have
> > : to waste disk space on language ports.
> >
> > Can't you specify the languages in the "IGNORE_CATEGORIES" portion of
> > pkgtools.conf?  Then you should be able to safely skip it.
> >

> Yes, and there's even an example right there in pkgtools.conf.

That is all well and good, but the HANDBOOK makes no mention of the fact
that I have to go poring though pkgtools.conf looking for mysterious
settings to put in place.

Since the HANDBOOK gives a specific suggestion for the refuse file and
since it mentions portupgrade, it should also mention the fact that if
you use a refuse file you need to update pkgtools.conf.

Trying to remember every little obscure configuration file is a royal
pain in the ass.  That is what the HANDBOOK is for, to help me remember
all of these obscure details.

/Joe