Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:01:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: web hosting with a dynamic IP address question

Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us> types:
> On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, David Banning wrote:
> Interesting! I have been wondering about dynamic dns. What do
> they do about caching name servers? I find that changing the
> DNS entry takes a couple days to propagate..

All real dns servers cache. But the length of time they can cache an
entry is controled by the people who control the servers for that
domain. Servers for dynamic versions set that time to *very* short, so
the changes propagate quickly. The downside is that their servers get
pounded for updates.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.