Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 19:31:28 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/java/jdk

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Peter Leftwich wrote:

> Actually, what I'd like at this point is a way to just populate one folder:
> /usr/ports/java/jdk13 -- is there a single command line method to do so?

The Java port is complicated by Sun's ridiculous licensing stuff *and*
by it depending on the Linux Java to build the native version.  So
rather than a normal build, you'll have to fetch the files into
/usr/ports/distfiles yourself.

First, build the Linux Java:

cd /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk13
make   (here's where you stop and download the files from Sun's page)
make install

Then make the native Java

cd /usr/ports/java/jdk13
make   (Download files; it'll tell you where.)
make install

> Also, once make has run, are there steps to configure in my browser? Thx,

Yes, make a few links:

cd /usr/X11R6/lib/mozilla/plugins
ln -s /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I can't recall if you can run the Java2 plugin in the native Mozilla.
I think so; as root, go to games.yahoo.com and run Diamond Mine.  It'll
tell you that you need a new Java plugin.  Say okay and download it.
After the plugin installs, close Mozilla.