Date:      Tue, 01 Mar 2011 09:07:19 -0500
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@buffalo.edu>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Patrick Lamaiziere <patfbsd@davenulle.org>
Subject:   Re: 8.2/7.4-RELEASEs Announced...

--=-vxOP+qhOkhwUeeticsfq

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 02:05 -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Not to mention, the block size specified doesn't jibe with what's in the
> FreeBSD Handbook (which uses bs=3D64k):
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.htm=
>=20
> Other users have pointed this out to me on my blog, wondering exactly
> where bs=3D10240 came from.  So, the release notes going forward should
> probably use bs=3D64k.

I'll try to remember to adjust that for 8.3.  I started off suggesting
the 10240 value because that's what gets used in the script that builds
the memstick images (and the block size there is used for some
mathematics to determine file sizes so a larger size would potentially
waste more space...).  But as people with less patience than me have
noticed 64k results in a much faster transfer...  ;-)

--=20
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |